What Is Child Care Subsidy & How Much Can You Get?

A handy guide on Child care subsidy

The Australian government currently provides a Child Care Subsidy to help parents pay their child care fees. This subsidy is paid directly to the child care provider, thereby reducing the financial burden on Australian families. We have put together this handy guide that will answer all your questions on the child care subsidy.

Who is eligible for the Child Care Subsidy?

You may be eligible if you or your partner:

  • Care for a child 13 or younger and not attending secondary school, unless an exemption applies;
  • Care for your child at least 2 nights per fortnight, or have 14% care;
  • Use an approved child care service; and
  • Are responsible for paying the child care fees at an approved child care service

You or your partner must also meet all residency requirements. This includes one of the following:

  • Possessing Australian citizenship
  • Possessing a Permanent Residency visa
  • Possessing a Special Category visa
  • Possessing a certain temporary visa type

Your child must:

  • Meet all current immunisation requirements
  • Not be attending secondary school unless there is an exemption such as:
    • Child is 13 or under
    • Child is 14-18 with a disability

You may also be entitled to additional support if you are:

  • Transitioning to work
  • A grandparent
  • Experiencing temporary financial hardship

How much will I receive?

The amount you receive in your Child Care Subsidy depends on the below factors:

  • Your family’s income

Provided by the Department of Human Services

  • The hourly rate cap based on the childcare you use and age of the child

Provided by the Department of Human Services

If you are not employed, you can still access up to 36 hours of subsidised child care if you spend a minimum of 8 hours per fortnight either volunteering or actively seeking work.

How do I apply?

Before applying for the Child Care Subsidy, you will need to prepare a number of forms such as:

  • Newborn child claim proof of birth forms
  • Birth certificates
  • Adoption or surrogacy agreements
  • Child care receipts
  • Change of care documents

Once you have all your paperwork in order, simply submit it through your MyGov service. Alternatively, there are also full steps to claim your Child Care Subsidy that will walk you through the process.

Bliss Early Learning is a government-approved child care provider. Get in touch with our dedicated team of educators to find out how we can help you.